sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] State of the PL

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] State of the PL
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:39:32 -0500

I obviously have been AWOL the last several months. I've talked to some of
you a bit about this in IRC, and last time said I thought the project I've
been working on would die down some after the first of September.

That hasn't been the case, and there's really no end in sight. I haven't
bugged people with the details because they may not be welcome but
basically I have gotten very deeply involved in one of the US Presidential
campaigns. Most of you know I'm "political", but what I'm doing now is
pretty unprecedented for me. I stopped caring about party politics years
ago because it's all the same BS over and over again. However, this time
around a guy who has been a hero of mine for 10 years is running and making
very strong headway, and I'm along for the ride. Given that most of his
platform is to stop the current monkey's crusade to blow up the rest of the
world I'm going to hope most of you are cool with that, but even if not
this one is for my kids which is the one priority that trumps even linux
projects. So that's where I've been. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

The other thing is that my job has continued to degrade thanks to those
even less enjoyable politics, the ones of corporate America. I used to be
able to do some linux and SMGL stuff as part of work but that's been less
and the case. There is good news there, though -- I've been offered and
accepted a job at DBG, the company that's been providing that shiny fast
mirror for most of our downloads the last many months. This job will be
all systems stuff, most of it Linux, most of that SMGL. So I'll be getting
paid to do the useful work again, and that should hopefully make me much
more visible around these parts. I hope.

Meantime, I'm doing something I should have done a while ago and naming
David Kowis Assistant Project Lead, with a focus on kicking me to do
things. If I've dropped the ball on something you need please mention it
to him. He's authorized run votes and the like and to nag me incessantly
until I get other needed things done or it I don't, to do them himself.