sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [off-topic] Admin advice

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [off-topic] Admin advice
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 15:26:36 -0500

Eric Sandall wrote:
On Thursday 19 April 2007 07:24:31 Mathieu L. wrote:
Thanks to all for the replies.
On the same topic, what would you recommend as a filesystem for the one
which is nfs served?
It's currently some ext3, but I'd like to switch to the most appropriate
when we decide to change the whole raid bay.

ext3 is the safest, but not necessarily the fastest. I've had good luck with reiserfs (v3), but only use that on clients. My servers all use ext3 (with noatime).

I will *never* use JFS on any machine. I have tried it several times on two different machines and each time I would quickly end up with a read-only "/" that had to have the fsck.jfs tools run on it.

JFS takes the least amount of power to use. Might be good on a laptop.

I run reiserfs on all my computers, even the servers. It can be resized at runtime. Not shrank tho. That requires at least unmounting.

I think I've even got a reiser4 fs shared over nfs ;)

XFS seems stable enough, but seemed a bit slow when used on my laptop.

As a quick fix to our current problem I wanted to try to reformat the
partition believed to be the failing one to reiserfs (because that's the
only one I've already used besides ext3) but I have no idea whether that
would be a smart choice or not. I gave up on that anyway because the
stupid default scientific linux kernel doesn't support reiser
apparently. ( and I don't want to fiddle with that as I intent to wipe
this distro as soon as possible).

As I stated above, ReiserFS (v3, at least) is very nice. I haven't had any noticable corruption on it, but for servers I stick to the tried and true ext3.

-sandalle