sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [off-topic] Admin advice

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mark Bainter <mbainter-smgl AT lostinagoodbook.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [off-topic] Admin advice
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 22:59:59 -0500

Mathieu L. [lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What do you think of that? I've heard that NFS is not meant to deal with
> lots of requests thus it is likely the cause of the corruption.
> So does anyone knows of a replacement for nfs we could use with such a
> setup? If not, what change would you suggest to avoid that crash?

It's not something I've encountered personally - though 'lots of requests'
is somewhat relative and you didn't give any hard numbers. We frequently
have close to a thousand requests over a course of the average 8 hour day
on the small NFS server I'm running now and we don't run into that.

As for other alternatives to nfs, OpenAFS is good for this sort of thing
(it's a lot more complex than NFS, but if you invest the time to learn it
I think you'll find it well worth your while) and of course there is
LUFS+SSHFS. I'm not sure how well that last would hold up under heavy
usage. It'd be an interesting test to be sure.