sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] What to do with asterisk?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: Martin Spitzbarth <m.spitzbarth AT gmx.de>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] What to do with asterisk?
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 21:44:15 -0500

Martin Spitzbarth wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I've noticed that we have asterisk 1.2.17 in our grimoires. For now,
> upstream maintains both the 1.2 release and the newer 1.4 release. The
> changes from 1.2 to 1.4 are both in the build process and more
> importantly in the configuration files.
>
> The changes can be found in UPGRADE.txt in the 1.4.2 tarball or here:
> http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/tags/1.4.2/UPGRADE.txt?view=markup
>
> I don't think it we should "auto upgrade" from 1.2 to 1.4. That
> might break some existing installations, or in other words: No phone
> calls until the admin has fixed the dialplans, scripts and so on.

You could also provide a warning that checks to see if there's 1.2
installed and default to no.

Unless there's good reason to keep 1.2 around, as in it's a feature
branch, I'd not keep it around. Most people will want 1.4 anyway. We
just want to make sure that it doesn't break existing systems on an
unattended update. Keeping multiple versions around implies that the 1.2
"branch" will receive security updates and such. If it will, then make
it a multi-version spell. If not, do the question thing. Only ask the
question, however, if they've got version 1.2 of asterisk currently
installed.

Heh, I should read the email, for now 1.2 and 1.4 are maintained. So
multi-version is suitable. However, I don't think many people use this
spell, so I'd still push them towards the 1.4 "branch" of the package. I
haven't reviewed the changelog yet.

If the support for 1.2 is going to end after a reasonable amount of
time, I'd not do the multi-version. I'd make it 1.4 with a No question
if they've got 1.2 installed.

That's what I'd do.