sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] What to do with asterisk?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Martin Spitzbarth <m.spitzbarth AT gmx.de>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] What to do with asterisk?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 23:10:10 +0100

Hello everybody,

I've noticed that we have asterisk 1.2.17 in our grimoires. For now,
upstream maintains both the 1.2 release and the newer 1.4 release. The
changes from 1.2 to 1.4 are both in the build process and more
importantly in the configuration files.

The changes can be found in UPGRADE.txt in the 1.4.2 tarball or here:
http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/tags/1.4.2/UPGRADE.txt?view=markup

I don't think it we should "auto upgrade" from 1.2 to 1.4. That
might break some existing installations, or in other words: No phone
calls until the admin has fixed the dialplans, scripts and so on.

Would it make sense to
(a) make it a multi version spell
(b) split the spell in asterisk and asterisk14, or similar
[ (c) upgrade to 1.4, because nobody uses that spell anyway? ]

I don't promise that I will work on this spell within the next few
weeks, but it would be nice to hear a few opinions about it, especially
from people who seriously use asterisk in a production environment
(I've just played with the VoIP capabilities of my all in one router and
asterisk).

Have a nice weekend

Martin