sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] What I Have In Mind

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] What I Have In Mind
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:05:47 -0800

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 21:29:01 Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> On Feb 13, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> > On Friday 19 January 2007 23:56:48 Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> > > Disclaimer: These are some first thoughts and will probably be somewhat
> > > stream-of-consciousness, but you may as well know where I am now. I
> > > reserve the right to change my mind between now and Feb 1. Oh, also,
> > > this is really long, but you didn't expect me to be brief, did you?
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Short posts are easier to read during free time, and then reply. ;)
>
> If it was hard to write it should be hard to read. :-P

;)

<snip>
> About the only part of the site that gets activity is the forums. We don't
> run particularly useful news, we don't write docs (this isn't just "we
> don't migrate them from the wiki"), and we don't really have an "etc".
> Further we don't have anyone stepping up to deal with things like site
> maintenance and upgrades. This last is non-optional for a heavy web app
> exposed to the internet.
>
> I hear very few voices of support for keeping this site going, and the few
> I hear aren't doing a lot to prove the usefulness. Most seem to just want
> a wiki, and after a few years letting the site prove itself, it just hasn't
> IMO.

True, I'm just weary of us changing websites every year or so. ;) The grass
is
always greener on the other side.

<snip>
> I'm not interested in being able to veto CLs myself. If they're not
> available to do their job it's one thing but I see no reason to assume a PL
> is a better authority on eg sorcery than the sorcery Lead. The PL is
> elected for skills other than the ability to maintain sorcery (or grimoire,
> or cauldron). This is a clear fact; Andrew has forgotten more about
> sorcery internals than I know.

I more meant that the PL can take up the work when a CL can't and is somewhat
of a central authority when needed, so we don't get bogged down in
votes/discussions if a quick action is needed.

-sandalle

eric at sandall.us PGP: 0xA8EFDD61 | http://www.sourcemage.org/
http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285