sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] making initrd's a little easier

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ruskie AT mages.ath.cx
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] making initrd's a little easier
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:23:18 -0800

How about those that don't use the linux spell but would still like to use
an initrd. That would certainly be good to have it as a separate spell.

Also other distros ussualy put a ton of modules and tons of scripts and
other stuff in their initrds. Just so that it's more easy to break it :)

Okay so by popular demand the mkinitrd script is in the
linux-initramfs spell. The linux-initramfs spell also installs a
/sbin/installkernel script, if you are using a 2.6 kernel this comes
in handy because iirc it does call /sbin/installkernel if it exists by
running `make install` in the kernel tree.

The linux-initramfs spell also comes with the set of scripts to put in
your kernel config as mentioned before on the sm-discuss.

The spell could be renamed or moved to the smgl section since these
are kinda distro specific extentions when dealing with the kernel, any
objections?

As always, since the Jeremy has plans for the wiki, I'm going to hold
off on the documentation (unless he says otherwise). So RTFC the
script before using or wait until I can write up some documentation on
it.

- David Brown