sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] making initrd's a little easier

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] making initrd's a little easier
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:11:10 +0100

On 10:32:34 pm 2007-01-27 "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com> wrote:
> > Having the linux spell not depend on anything make some kind of sense
> > but it obviously does depend on some things now whether it names them
> > or not (gcc, for one). Regardless, I don't think the point there is
> > to make any potential dependencies part of the linux spell itself.
>
> well I think the rational was that, linux isn't part of basesystem and
> any spell that isn't part of basesystem shouldn't depend on any spell
> in basesystem. Since the extra linux-devel spell isn't part of
> basesystem linux should optionally depend on it since its using one of
> the files provided by said spell.

How about those that don't use the linux spell but would still like to use
an initrd. That would certainly be good to have it as a separate spell.

Also other distros ussualy put a ton of modules and tons of scripts and
other stuff in their initrds. Just so that it's more easy to break it :)

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html
Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C