sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Status of LVM

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Status of LVM
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:50:39 -0600

David Brown wrote:
>> Yeah, as long as we can still do it the "old" way (which is what we've
>> got right now) I don't have any problems with this. LVM root would be a
>> neat thing to do, but it will open up more problems. It's easy to forget
>> to build in the right parts and totally screw up your box. We'd need to
>> have a way to ensure that the ISO can be a rescue cd for a setup like
>> this as well. By rescue cd, I simply mean able to recognize and mount
>> the partitions.
>
> Yeah the iso would have to either work with me to include this into
> the iso's kernel/initrd or just make their own custom initrd/kernel
> and use that. On irc it was discussed that this maybe the case that
> the iso kernel and the kernel installed on the users system would be
> different and this setup I'm thinking of (and have working now) would
> be something for the users system not nessisarily for the iso's
> kernel.

Something I really don't want to break is being able to boot the iso in
xen. From what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong, We cannot load an
initrd. This would make it no longer boot in xen. If this isn't the
case, then I don't have any complaints. Except one: I'm far in favor of
KISS. This doesn't really make it any simpler.

> The only real addition to the initscripts I had to make was running
> dmsetup mknodes in mountroot.sh so that the device nodes get created
> (since they are activated in the initrd the other commands didn't need
> to be run). The mountall.sh script ended up creating the symlinks.
> I'll have to add different commands and see how things act on boot up.

This interacts fine with udev?

David