sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Roadmap to 0.9.7

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Roadmap to 0.9.7
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:02:58 +0000

After following the ongoing discussion here about the State of the Project
(TM) and talking with afrayedknot on #sourcemage about the direction we
should be heading towards, I've come to the conclusion that we need to get to
work.

Yep, that's it.

I'm pissed off at myself because of playing the Cool New Stuff game and not
really helping with the next ISO. I'm pissed off enough to promise here and
now that I'll fix at least *one* bug each day until we get an ISO out. I've
fixed one today already.

The idea is nothing new -- ruskie suggested it a long time ago. If each of us
would contribute even that tiny bit every day, we would see considerable
progress. He was right, and it's time we do just that. Of course many of us
contribute daily, but how and what we contribute makes a difference.

I think it's relatively safe to say that we all wish for a new release to
happen. And while we differ in opinion about how to manage things, the fact
is we're _not_ in a position to change that right now. The best we can do is
push for 0.9.7, even when it means postponing the oh so valuable State of the
Project (TM) discussion.

Don't get me wrong, there are important issues to address, but it's most
important that we don't address them until _after_ 0.9.7 is ready. We are in
danger of wearing ourselves out out of frustration if we extend this
standstill much longer.

Many good suggestions have come out of the recent discussion, and I have some
of my own, too. But I will deliberately refrain from sharing them while there
are bugs to squash.

The direction we should be heading towards is a release. Please, one bug each
day.

--
Juuso Alasuutari
[[ Source Mage GNU/Linux ]]

  • [SM-Discuss] Roadmap to 0.9.7, Juuso Alasuutari, 01/04/2007