sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Pale web presence

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Alexander Tsamutali" <astsmtl AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Pale web presence
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 22:19:56 +0500

Ok. I think everyone agrees with me that a good web site is crucial
for such big and serious project as Source Mage. Now we have Drupal as
the CMS for the main site and moinmoin for wiki. Drupal provides news,
forum, blogs, polls and a way to organise documentation (drupal
books). Drupal also provides us with some crappy private messaging
system. Hmmm... i'll return to this topic later. So for Drupal:

* news - almost no news on our site and DW
* forum - low volume, but sometimes new users here get support here
* blogs - some users and developers use it
* polls - oh, polls show how many active users we have :(
* some docs are already here and some on the wiki, do we have some
policy on docs?

About wiki, i like wikis and i like moinmoin. Currently our wiki is
somewhat chaotic, but i think if we organise it better it will play a
very important role. I can try to reorganise wiki. Sort pages in
categories, create some home page. But we all must remember that the
thing about wiki is _collaboration_!

The most important tasks:

* defining some process for publishing regular news, weekly news and
define which news should go to DW (releases, important R&D such as
castfs)
* documentation, assemble and publish official documentation on
drupal, write more docs

A word about communications. We have the following ways for users and
developers to communicate:

* irc - developers love it
* mailing lists - the best way, IMHO
* forum - for new users only
* drupal private messaging system - crap

I think it would be good to state on the web site that mailing lists
are preferred; limit the topics on forum to "general support for
newbies" and rip drupal private messaging off. This way we concentrate
discussions on mailing lists. Isn't that good? :)

--
Alexander Tsamutali