sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Status of xorg-modular

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: " sm-discuss " <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Status of xorg-modular
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:47:43 +0100

I've been meaning to send this for a while...

As it goes the following is what's keeping modular from being integrated
into test:

a) there's a TON of spells in test that depend on X11-LIBS/SERVER but have
NO xorg-modular dependencies

b) Until a) is satisfied there can be no clear upgrade path from xorg to
-modular simply becaus one can't rely on UP_TRIGGERS since what's defined
as X11-LIBS in -modular is REALLY the minimal required amount of libraries
one needs to build xorg-server

c) none of the -modular spells acctually have a sane description and there
doesn't seem to be any official list that we could use.

Basicaly a) and b) are showstopers while c) is would be nice to have but
not really critical

What I'd like to see is more people working on getting more spells
compatible with -moudular. Until we can guarantee a reliable upgrade path
for X11 dependant spells I really don't want to put it into test.

So for those looking to help:

Version updates aren't critical at this time(I have those covered for all
the spells except beryl(lalo handles those)) so leave those alone. I
ussualy take a few days to acctually test it on a running system.

Where I would like to see help is:

Fix spells in test to be -modular compatible using the two functions in
FUNCTIONS if necesary or mark them compatible on:
http://wiki.sourcemage.org/Xorg_Modular_Compatibles

Fix the -modular spells to include proper descriptions.

If anything above can be automated then please do so. And either provide
the script or do it yourself.

On a side note:
We currently have an xorg-modular grimoire which some consider temporary
and so on... I'd let it remain to work as a WIP grimoire simply because
there's a lot of breakage at random releases(the latest would be
xorg-server 1.2.99 needing a feature of mesalib that is only in it's cvs).
It doesn't hurt to have it and it makes it easier to test updates. Be it a
branch or a separate grimoire(I'd prefer the separate grimoire) it would
make it easier.

PS: xorg-modular 7.2 is soon to be released and I was hoping to make the
integration within a month but ONLY if the above points a) and b) can be
met.

Thank you for your attention.

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html
Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = A7A9E461
Key fingerprint = 757E C16B F5B7 DC27 B003 CCED CF95 3A77 A7A9 E461