sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] About mime database...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] About mime database...
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:12:56 +0100

Hello people,

Once again I request your opinion... :-)

I realized that several spells seem to launch 'update-mime-database'
during INSTALL, because it is contained in the install target of the
Makefile. Therefore, all these spells possess the mime database
in /usr/share/mime/. So if one of these spells is removed, the database
is broken and must be rebuild. An effect of this is that launching
applications according to the file type in nautilus no longer works.

So we have two solutions to fix this :
- the easiest would be to rebuild the database in POST_REMOVE, this is
quite fast,
- patch/sedit Makefile to avoid the launch of update-mime-database and
do it in FINAL

Unless STAGE_ROOT magically solves the problem ?? I must admit I'm not
really aware of the advantages... (yes I didn't take the time to read
docs...)

If you want to see it on your own, try :
grep -l '/usr/share/mime' /var/log/sorcery/install/*

Here is the result on my box :
bluefish
brasero
bug
comix
dia
emerald
evolution2
gdesklets
gimp
gnome
jdk1.5
nautilus2
seahorse
shared-mime-info

--
Flavien Bridault

Disk, Graphics, Graphics-libs sections Guru
Source Mage GNU/Linux - http://www.sourcemage.org

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be