sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] depending on xorg-modular

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] depending on xorg-modular
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 18:37:35 +0300

On Saturday 21 October 2006 18:27, Lalo Martins wrote:
> Ok, the reason I'm asking this to the list is that, since there's no
> modular 7.x, I expect soon we will have more spells encountering the same
> problem.
>
> So I finally added the beryl spells to master. Then Ruskie brought up a
> very good question: they depend on xorg-modular. I tried cross-grimoire
> depends, but that doesn't work quite ideally, since xorg-modular is in a
> non-standard location and therefore can't be fetched by cast. Ruskie
> suggests I just put the whole section in xorg-modular, which would work;
> but that feels "wrong" to me, as currently there are no other
> non-Xorg-related spells there (only a few "forked" versions of spells that
> are also in master but need to be different if cast over modular, such as
> mesalib and the ati driver).
>
> Right now, I tend to agree with Rusky, albeit uneasily. But I thought I
> should ask first. What are other people's thoughts on that?

My opinion is to treat beryl as WIP for now, and clearly indicate (in spell
messages etc.) that playing with it needs special wizardry (going through the
trouble of installing xorg-modular from a non-standard location).

So I guess that would mean putting beryl and frends in xorg-modular until
things move forward. Not a bad option at all, imho.

And while we're discussin xorg-modular, I got the idea that I should write
a "xorg-scraper" that parses the X.Org ftp dirs and points out where
xorg-modular is lacking up-to-date spells. I'll do something about it today
already, we'll see what comes out of this. Also there are some things in
xorg-modular that I'm going to touch. It's not too far away from possible
integration to test if all goes well.

--
Juuso Alasuutari
[[ Source Mage GNU/Linux ]]