sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] feature creep. WAS: splitting cvs spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jens Laas <jens.laas AT data.slu.se>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] feature creep. WAS: splitting cvs spells
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:36:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hello!

I fear feature creep and increased complexity in SMGL.

To start with I appreciate all the good work you developers (and others!) do for SMGL.

But my main attraction to SMGL was the ease for the admin to casually view and _understand_ the spells. Increasingly functionality has moved out of the spells and into library functions, thus decreasing understandability.

Its easier to fix something simple when it breaks than fixing something complex. And things do inevitably break.

So, in short, simplicity is a virtue. Atleast for me.

Thanks again for your outstanding work!
Cheers,
Jens

'In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
But, in practice, there is.'
Jens Låås Email: jens.laas AT data.slu.se
Department of Computer Services, SLU Phone: +46 18 67 35 15
Vindbrovägen 1
P.O. Box 7079
S-750 07 Uppsala
SWEDEN