sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] git feedback
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:22:24 +0200

On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 11:44:03PM +0200, Ladislav Hagara wrote:
> > but more some general feeling like "if we have
> > to use git, I'll leave smgl development"
>

> If majority of smgl developers want git I have no problems with it.
> I like perforce and I think it is more suitable for us.
> I really do not think that stability, scalability, and supportability of
> git is arguably better than p4.

There's exactly one case I've found where p4 performs better, and that's
p4 opened vs. git status, which is not surprising given how p4 works.

> Our Git Guide certainly need to be updated.
> I am trying to "integrate" some security fixes from test to stable-rc
> and stable several days already (when I have time and I remember it) and
> still I have only problems and always end my suffering by "git reset
> --hard". I am really missing someting like "p4 integrate devel/xyz/...
> test/xyz/...", "p4 client", .... Yea, it can be only my problem.

Usually you should really cherry-pick individual changes instead of a
full directory integration. If it's really necessary, I already posted
the commands on this list once:
rm -r $section/$spell
git-tar-tree $branch | tar -xf - $section/$spell
git add $section/$spell
git commit -a

I started working on a script to make this easier, but haven't gotten it
done yet.

> As I wrote git can not force me to leave smgl. On the other way seems
> some developers have never used git.
> We should probably vote on this. And as usually I prefer open voting.

Given the replies in this thread, I don't think we need a vote, but it's
certainly within your rights to motion for one.

http://www.sourcemage.org