sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] MAINTAINER file

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] MAINTAINER file
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 16:39:35 +0200

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 05:34:21PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> On Jun 05, Arwed von Merkatz [v.merkatz AT gmx.net] wrote:
> [...]
> [...]
> > > I guess I just dont see it being of any use, and like last time this
> > > was attempted, quickly becoming stale. Over time we'll come the same
> > > conclusion about it as we did last time.

I have to admit that I totally forgot about that issue ;)

> > True, but people seem to want _some_ way of claiming maintainership of
> > spells. Doing that in the section MAINTAINER file as it's done in the
> > mail section has the same problem though.
>
> Well, if we only allow people to claim individual spells in sections that
> are maintained, the question of "who keeps these current" is answered as
> "the section maintainer", and that's not unreasonable. Doing that in a
> section MAINTAINER file like mail does makes the maintainer's job doing so
> easy as well. Of course the problem with this is it only lets certain
> spells list an individual maintainer and probably raises again the question
> of how spells should really be organized.

Ok, let's still delay the whole organization problem for a bit.
So how about 'standardizing' how the MAINTAINER file in sections looks
like then, based on the mail one:
Full Name of section maintainer <mail of section maintainer>

spellname - name of spell maintainer <mail of spell maintainer>
another spell - name of maintainer <mail of maintainer>

That's simple enough and keeps the section maintainer easily accessible to
tools like our page_six bot. The section maintainer would be the one
managing the file.

http://www.sourcemage.org