sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] howto relocate sorcery stuff from /var to /sorcery

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] howto relocate sorcery stuff from /var to /sorcery
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 09:16:07 -0700

The easiest thing to do is to just use symlinks. Theres several mostly
independent pieces of the system: libraries, codex, state data, source
cache, compile archive cache, logs. Some are more flexible than others.

Codex, source and compile caches you can actually move
without symlinks. For codex just move the directories and update
/etc/sorcery/local/grimoires, also change CODEX_ROOT, which is scribe
add's default location. For the others there are config variables you
can set.

State and log data can have its prefix changed (STATE_ROOT), but for
now having an alternate directory entirely isn't supported.

As for libraries, you can change SGL_LIBRARY, and move
/var/lib/sorcery/modules plus the files in that dir elsewhere. However
the install script has that path hard-coded in it, so the next sorcery
update will ignore the changes. The compile config also has that path in it,
mainly because compile config can be used outside sorcery (and so cant
depend on sorcery config vars too heavily).

Of course, if having more control in this area is important to you
(and the symlink hack doesn't strike your fancy), we can actually do
something to improve the situation.

-Andrew