sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] stable-rc branch is closing (except for emergency fixes) on Sunday night.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] stable-rc branch is closing (except for emergency fixes) on Sunday night.
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 11:39:22 -0700

Gurus, Mages, Wizards, etc.,

I'm officially closing the stable-rc grimoire tomorrow, May 21st at 9PM
(2100 hours) Pacific Time, which is early Monday morning for most of
Europe. Gurus have had enough time to fix bugs from all the prometheus
runs, I think.

Here's the plan in detail:

Stable sorcery will be used.

Today I don't want to see any changes in basesystem, since I'm rebulding
a new chroot from stable based on x86 (non-x86_64) code. When I get the
stable chroot built, I will upgrade it to stable-rc.

Any major problems during this upgrade will be considered showstoppers
and will stop all testing until they are fixed since they affect the
rest of the process so drastically.

This upgrade will be of everything provided on the ISO either by default
or optionally.

When this succeeds, a prometheus snapshot will be taken and prometheus
will be set loose on the list of spells in ledger used by 25% or more of
people. Any broken spells used my a majority of submitters to ledger
will be showstoppers. Spells used between 25% and 50% of people will be
individually-weighed for showstopper status. Spells will be
emergency-fixed up to stable-rc and any dependent spells will be
re-added to the prometheus queue after a grimoire update (if they aren't
merely dependency updates, but affect the install on-disk). The rest of
the spells will be compiled and any spells that are known regressions
from the stable run will be downgraded and all dependent spells will be
recompiled until we've removed all regressions or determined that fixing
said regressions are unfeasable given necessary (as in they fix more
issues than they cause) upgrades to dependee spells.

The hostname of this prometheus run will be swoolley-0-4 and the version
will be stable-rc.

This process may take two weeks if everything goes smoothly or a month
or longer if people broke stable-rc too badly. The goal is to improve
the quality of the grimoire, by not allowing regressions into the stable
branch.

All bugs found in stable-rc will be moved to stable version in bugzilla
when stable is officially released. But before this, all bugs in stable
already will have a flag set to "re-check" whether they exist in the new
stable. Then volunteers can try to dupe the bugs and close them out if
they've been fixed or set them to confirmed that they still exist.

Gurus will not then ever have a reason to complain that they didn't have
enough bugs to work on or that they didn't get tickled to work on them
in bugzilla. :)

  • [SM-Discuss] stable-rc branch is closing (except for emergency fixes) on Sunday night., seth, 05/20/2006