sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] wpa_supplicant structure....was: wpa_supplicant init script

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Pieter Lenaerts <e-type AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] wpa_supplicant structure....was: wpa_supplicant init script
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 19:48:24 +0200

Op ma, 15-05-2006 te 10:12 -0700, schreef Eric Sandall:
> Perhaps those who use WPA for wireless should get together and hash out
> what works, though what Pieter proposes above (additionally to Juuso's)
> sounds acceptable, once cleaned up. :)

so, juuso and I have been talking a little about it on irc. there's
quite some things we still need to figure out:

in my proposition, there's a big problem with the fact
that /etc/wpa_supplicant/<ssid> files have to be in synch with the
networks configured in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf ...
juuso has an idea to have all data just once in <ssid> files, and let
wpa_cli feed those into wpa_supplicant at runtime.

a huge problem is the amount of options that we have to deal with if we
want to make this userfriendly with a dialog and stuff. I'm not sure we
can make it very userfriendly since a lot of network admins don't even
provide their users with the data they need to get wpa_supplicant
configured.

this brings me to n°3: I think we should get our current netconf tool to
provide a choice between wpa_supplicant/wireless_tools or no wifi. it
would be very bad practice to complicate stuff to our users.

I'm sure there's a lot more problems that I'm missing

--
Pieter Lenaerts
Source Mage GNU/Linux

http://www.sourcemage.org
"Linux so advanced it may well be magic"