sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] prometheus update -- fire by numbers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] prometheus update -- fire by numbers
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:31:11 -0700

After over 1200 spells compiled, I'm checking back in to talk about the
numbers.

This is just from on my dual opteron box...

Approximately 1/3rds of the spells are broken, but not all of them are
their own fault. Only about 1/8 are broke broken. The rest are skipped
due to not being able to satisfy their (most likely) correctly-listed
dependencies. Keep in mind that many of these spells are bitrotting --
they are never used due to only one person wanting them. According to
the ledger, we find that only a few hundred are actually consistently
used by people. Also keep in mind that the vast majority of these
errors are missing dependencies or bad md5s. Stuff that's actually
compile broken are few and far between.

I still have about three to four times this many to compile. I figure
it will take a week or two if things go ok and the box is ok running
24/7. If I let my box go gangbusters forever, I figure we can have
releases every month or two. With the volunteers, we might be able to
increase the testing rate so that we can release sooner, but of course,
testing isn't so much the limit as how fast we can put fixes in and fix
difficult bugs.

Seth