sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] where and how to assemble and mount md devices?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Chris Dombroski <cdombroski AT icanttype.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] where and how to assemble and mount md devices?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:35:31 -0400

Quoting Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>:

The {raidtab,mdadm}.conf is used by the RAID tools to setup /dev/md*
during mountall.sh. Our init scripts do everything else. The only
problem/issue I know of is if you want to have your root partition in
a RAID setup. This takes more magic (and an initrd) than I wanted to
spend time on, so only /home is in a RAID.

If raid support is built into the kernel, and the partitions are marked as "Linux Raid Autodetect" (0xFD), then the raid devices will be discovered and useable before / is mounted. Then all you have to worry about is making sure mdX devices are created/available to mount the rest of your partitions.