sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] where and how to assemble and mount md devices?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: Jens Laas <jens.laas AT data.slu.se>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] where and how to assemble and mount md devices?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:36:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Jens Laas wrote:
What is the recommended way to integrate md devices into the init system?

Our new mailserver will use two md-arrays for storage.
These need to be assembled and mounted at the correct runlevel and also
the MTA and imap/pop server need to depend on these.

Suggestions?

At home I have my /home partition setup as RAID 1 (mirror). My
/etc/fstab has:
/dev/md0 /home reiserfs defaults,notail,noatime 0 2

My /etc/raidtab has:
raiddev /dev/md0
raid-level 1
nr-raid-disks 2
chunk-size 32
nr-spare-disks 0
persistent-superblock 1
device /dev/hdf
raid-disk 0
device /dev/hdh
raid-disk 1

I also have /etc/mdadm.conf (the newer RAID tools for 2.6 kernels):
#
# Devices I want mdadm to use /dev/hdf and /dev/hdh
#
DEVICE /dev/hd[fh]

#
# /dev/hdg1 and /dev/hdh1 are part of /dev/md0 array
# These devices must be listed by a DEVICE line
#
ARRAY /dev/md0 devices=/dev/hdf,/dev/hdh

#
# Send e-mails when monitoring to here
#
MAILADDR eric AT sandall.us

The {raidtab,mdadm}.conf is used by the RAID tools to setup /dev/md*
during mountall.sh. Our init scripts do everything else. The only
problem/issue I know of is if you want to have your root partition in
a RAID setup. This takes more magic (and an initrd) than I wanted to
spend time on, so only /home is in a RAID.

- -sandalle

- --