sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] udev: new stuff

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] udev: new stuff
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:23:57 +0200

Le mardi 04 avril 2006 à 14:06 +0300, Juuso Alasuutari a écrit :
> On Tuesday 04 April 2006 13:42, Flavien Bridault wrote:
> > On the contrary to what I told you in the email I just sent to you, I
> > had a *small* problem, the permissions on my cdrom device were not set
> > according to default rules.
> > I noticed in my logs that udev didn't find the path to cdrom_id utility,
> > so I corrected this in both default rules files.
>
> Good, thanks. :) I didn't notice there indeed was no cdrom device.
>
> > However we make use of %e in the cdrom rules to add a number at the end
> > of the symlink name. But %e is deprecated, so there should be something
> > new to use. I don't know what yet. :-/
>
> Isn't %n what's used for numbering usually? Or is %e something different?
> Right now %e doesn't seem to be doing anything, as I only
> have /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd, etc...

That might work, I don't know... I only have one cdrom device, it's
difficult for me to test that.

> By the way, I think symlinks dvd and dvdrw should also have MODE and GROUP
> set
> like cdrom and cdrw have.
Mmmm... If you take a look at the output of cdrom_id, you will
understand that a dvdrw is considered as a cdrom, a cdrw, a dvd, and a
dvdrw, this is cumulative. So a dvdrw device will match the four rules,
thus it will have four symlinks against it, and it will be applied the
perms of these four rules. So here it will be those from cdrw (660 and
burning group) as they override those from cdr.