sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.0.1 complaints

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.0.1 complaints
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:29:49 +0200

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:50:39AM -0600, David Kowis wrote:
[...]
> > That being said, I agree that it would be useful to have a better
> > coverage of testing for stuff like gcc. Doing a manual list obviously
> > doesn't work as people won't update it. So what would be useful is some
> > automatic way to extract info like 'those 50 spells were built with gcc
> > 4.1.x and cast successfully' from the compile, install and activity
> > logs. That way it would be a matter of running that script every now and
> > then on your development machine and send the info to the grimoire lead
> > to be aggregated into a full list.
>
> Perhaps promethius, or even just a script as I mentioned earlier to
> specifically test the gcc upgrade. I would prefer it be a proactive
> thing. Not just an extraction on the logs, but an explicit "cast the
> grimoire and see if everything builds under gcc4" for example. If that's
> what you said in the previous paragraph, then I just missed it :)

Casting the whole grimoire would obviously be a good test, but it just
doesn't work without some massive test cluster to do this on. We have
over 4000 spells in the grimoires, even if most of them only take a
couple of minutes, we're still taking about weeks of compile time.
What I was thinking of was more something like: gather the info from the
logs that are available anyway, aggregate it, then look at that list to
figure out what spells still need explicit testing. Basically spread the
testing burden to several developers and machines, getting everything
that gets cast by one of us anyway out of the way to figure out a list
of less used spells to test.

http://www.sourcemage.org