sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] A last question for the candidates

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] A last question for the candidates
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:54:24 +0200

Le vendredi 24 mars 2006 à 18:38 +0100, Flavien Bridault a écrit :
> Hi people,
>
> My question comes a bit late, since the vote end in less than four days
> now. I don't think I read anything about that far from here, but I will
> try to do it quickly. :-)
>
> My concern is about the grimoire team management. Since I have been in
> the team (half and a year iirc), the gurus are very "free", maybe too
> imho. We do finally what we want, the only directives we have is our
> roadmap [0].
> We didn't have any general meeting since a while, I think because they
> are quite hard to organize, so we didn't have any other directions.
>
> The grimoire team is the biggest team, and, at least imho, would need
> some real management. For example, when I took the two graphics and
> graphics-libs sections few weeks ago, I was very surprised to discover
> that they were not yet BUILD_API 2 compliant, although they were
> previously maintained. And frankly speaking it only took me two or three
> hours to achieve that for both. So I wonder if the previous maintainer
> really knew it was a priority ? BUILD_API transition had started for a
> while... But maybe I'm wrong it is not a priority. Not even sure. Do you
> know what I mean ? :)
> That the kind of thing I would expect from a real team management.
> Sometimes the TL could send a reminder to everyone/individuals to
> remember the objectives, what should be done in priority. Maybe
> something periodically, every month or something like that. A report of
> what have been achieved and what should be done next. It is currently
> different for sorcery or cauldron teams, because they have releases, and
> these ones are the opportunity to make-up (I'm not sure of the english
> term here, sorry... :-/ draw up the balance is better ?). In the
> grimoire team, we don't have any marks in time, and the TL could be
> there to prevent monotony...
>
> I know this is quite tricky, because all developers are volunteers, and
> you can't really force them to do something. But it may at least spur on
> people to fill some objectives, and maybe even put deadlines. Also for
> the bugs, if he realizes that someone has a huge number of bugs, he may
> help him by reorganizing its bugs and assigning a priority to each of
> them.
> I would also expect that the TL will keep everyone aware of all the new
> great features in sorcery and spur on people to use them.
>
> Keep in mind this is my opinion, I really have any idea if any people
> would like to see things change. I realize that I may ask a lot for
> someone who is also a volunteer, and part of these objectives could need
> the help of his assistant. I also don't want to blame Arwed, he really
> have done a great job, is a great developer (and who takes care of awful
> spells that few people would want to maintain ;-) ) and he is always
> here to help me.
> At last, Source Mage is my first and only open source project, I don't
> [...]

A small answer would have been welcome... Even to say you don't plan to
do anything and that I'm wrong.
Anyway the vote ends in few hours now...

--
Flavien Bridault

Disk, Graphics, Graphics-libs sections Guru
Source Mage GNU/Linux - http://www.sourcemage.org

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be