sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] A last question for the candidates

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] A last question for the candidates
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:38:34 +0100

Hi people,

My question comes a bit late, since the vote end in less than four days
now. I don't think I read anything about that far from here, but I will
try to do it quickly. :-)

My concern is about the grimoire team management. Since I have been in
the team (half and a year iirc), the gurus are very "free", maybe too
imho. We do finally what we want, the only directives we have is our
roadmap [0].
We didn't have any general meeting since a while, I think because they
are quite hard to organize, so we didn't have any other directions.

The grimoire team is the biggest team, and, at least imho, would need
some real management. For example, when I took the two graphics and
graphics-libs sections few weeks ago, I was very surprised to discover
that they were not yet BUILD_API 2 compliant, although they were
previously maintained. And frankly speaking it only took me two or three
hours to achieve that for both. So I wonder if the previous maintainer
really knew it was a priority ? BUILD_API transition had started for a
while... But maybe I'm wrong it is not a priority. Not even sure. Do you
know what I mean ? :)
That the kind of thing I would expect from a real team management.
Sometimes the TL could send a reminder to everyone/individuals to
remember the objectives, what should be done in priority. Maybe
something periodically, every month or something like that. A report of
what have been achieved and what should be done next. It is currently
different for sorcery or cauldron teams, because they have releases, and
these ones are the opportunity to make-up (I'm not sure of the english
term here, sorry... :-/ draw up the balance is better ?). In the
grimoire team, we don't have any marks in time, and the TL could be
there to prevent monotony...

I know this is quite tricky, because all developers are volunteers, and
you can't really force them to do something. But it may at least spur on
people to fill some objectives, and maybe even put deadlines. Also for
the bugs, if he realizes that someone has a huge number of bugs, he may
help him by reorganizing its bugs and assigning a priority to each of
them.
I would also expect that the TL will keep everyone aware of all the new
great features in sorcery and spur on people to use them.

Keep in mind this is my opinion, I really have any idea if any people
would like to see things change. I realize that I may ask a lot for
someone who is also a volunteer, and part of these objectives could need
the help of his assistant. I also don't want to blame Arwed, he really
have done a great job, is a great developer (and who takes care of awful
spells that few people would want to maintain ;-) ) and he is always
here to help me.
At last, Source Mage is my first and only open source project, I don't
have any idea of how other projects do.

So, to sum up, Arwed, Seth, do you plan to change something about that
if you are elected ?

Thank you both for your answers.

[0] http://www.sourcemage.org/RoadMap1.0
--
Flavien Bridault

Disk, Graphics, Graphics-libs sections Guru
Source Mage GNU/Linux - http://www.sourcemage.org

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be