sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] less and utf-8

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] less and utf-8
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:20:01 -0600

On Mar 25, Jaka Kranjc [lynx AT mages.ath.cx] wrote:
> I'd say /etc/sorcery/config, since less is the default pager. We also need
> make sure the installer creates an utf-8 enabled system or this can skew
> less
> for the people without utf-8 set up.

I know there's been more discussion on the actual cause of the problem, but
so it's said, any work to change the installer needs to of course remain in
the vein of making sure the installer isn't buggy when requested to make a
UTF-8 system. We have *no business* switching the defaults for system
creation to be UTF-8. We shouldn't be changing the LESSCHARSET globally
either, unless we ask first. Not everyone is going to want this and it's
not the default so we should leave it alone by default.

> On Saturday 25 March 2006 08:37, Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
> > $ gaze history kbd
> > "/var/lib/sorcery/codex/test/utils/kbd/HISTORY" may be a binary file. See
> > it anyway?
> >
> > Anyone else getting this? It's because ruskie now proudly uses his real
> > name in history entries. :)
> >
> > No worries though, nothing we can't fix with a little 'export
> > LESSCHARSET=utf-8'. My question is though, where should that line be added
> > so it would be universal in SMGL?

We can't tell users they have to change their system LESSCHARSET to use
sorcery correctly. Can we resolve this entirely inside of sorcery, without
expecting users to change how they want their systems built? Maybe that's
what the rest of the thread is about, I'm still not at home and not very up
on locale issues.