sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] 0.9.6 ISO release deadline near - testers needed

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] 0.9.6 ISO release deadline near - testers needed
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 12:25:30 +0100

Hi all!

=== we need ppc testers ===
The latest plan was to release an 0.9.5-ppc ISO soon after the x86 one, as
soon as we could get the ppc-specific problems worked out. However, I have
not received a lot of testing of the ppc ISOs.

In fact, the ppc devel ISO was finally "tested" by a new user that had never
seen SMGL before. I had to walk him through manually installing yaboot,
since our code didn't quite work. I do not think this is how things should be.

There's a big testing ISO on [0], I'd be very grateful if some people could
download it (sorry about the size) and try it out. If you can, try to install
a system with it. If you can't, you can still help out a lot:

We've had problems with the kernel not booting properly from the ISO. To
track this problem down, the ISO contains 7 kernel images, and 10 boot lines
in total. If you could just try booting 'test1' through 'test7' and
'test1b' through 'test3b', that would be terrific.

You don't need to do anything to your hard drive, just boot the CD, enter
each of the names at the isolinux boot prompt, write down if it got down
to the initrd screen, reboot for the next image.

Of course, if you can find an image that does boot (test3 _ought_ to, or
test3b), and can install and boot a system with it (noting any problems
that occur), that would be even better.
===========================

I think I said in the last meeting that we could get 0.9.6 out by the middle
of december if things go allright. Well, I've been a bit short on time lately,
so we're not quite as far as I'd like to be.

However, I'd like to get some feedback and testing, even though we're not
calling the latest ISO's -test yet. All this means is that things haven't
entirely settled yet and that some code might still get added.
Basically, the more testing we get now, the less time we waste having the
ISOs sit in -test later.

So I'd be very grateful if some people could test the latest devel ISOs
(currently [1], but just pick the latest date you see).
We're providing xdeltas between versions, so that testing the next version
becomes just a 3-MB-download. For those new to xdelta, after casting xdelta:

xdelta patch x86-2005112019-to-2005120321.xdelta
(you may have to pass the source file to patch, too)

Let's try to clear the way to make 1.0 the best ISO ever ;-)

So Far,
Karsten "BearPerson" Behrmann

[0]
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/sourcemage/iso/testing/ppc-big-shotgun.iso.bz2
[1]
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/sourcemage/iso/testing/smgl-devel-x86-2.6.13-nptl-2005120321.iso.bz2

p.s.: For the curious, here's a list of feature additions since 0.9.5:
- Installer warns when you skip a step you should have done
- Dialogs should all have the correct size
- spells are installed in the background while you configure things
- we now have a logging/debugging framework
- soft-RAID configuration

--
Karsten Behrmann | Source Mage GNU/Linux developer, ISO team
BearPerson AT gmx.net | http://www.sourcemage.org