sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New SMGL Mirror

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: unet AT sourcemage.org
  • Cc: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New SMGL Mirror
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 02:04:22 -0700

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 10:32:19AM +0200, Unet wrote:
> Hello fellow sourcemagers !
>
> Just a quick note to let you know we have finally set up a 100MBit
> sourcemage mirror @work :
>
> ftp://sourcemage.ac-dijon.fr
>
> It has codex, sorcery and isos, rsyncing each night (CET).

That's great. Now if only it had something to sync to again, we'd be
happy and whole. :)

> We are working on a specific project for Eole [1] (sorry french only), a
> set of linux server distributions widely used in the french
> administration [2], and are planning to base our next version on
> sourcemage as the core system.
>
> Needless to say, there are some adaptations that needs to be done !
> Anyone interested in what we're doing please contact me, and I'll
> explain you what technologies we plan to use. We need volunteers, and I
> believe this can be a _very_ important project, establishing sourcemage
> as the "very first linux metadistribution"(tm) :) !

That's excellent news. Our philosophy of keeping all our tools open to
the public may finally be paying off. I'm sure our latest advances,
reworkings, ideas, and goals in binary package management will be
fruitful in this project.

It has been done before with the binery spell (yes it's spelled that way
too) that Casey Harkins contributed. Unfortunately, since it's marked
WIP, it seems to have stuck in devel grimoire:

http://perforce.smee.org:8080/@@//sgl/grimoires/devel/smgl/binery/

the script itself:

http://perforce.smee.org:8080/@@//sgl/grimoires/devel/smgl/binery/binery

of course, he was only working with 16 laptops, not thousands of
servers.

I'd be glad to help coordinate and develop some increased binary
metadistrbution capabilities.

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733