sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] alsa and spdif

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Timothée Lecomte <timothee.lecomte AT ens.fr>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] alsa and spdif
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:25:16 +0200

> Under windblows I have to use the
> spdif output as I have digital only speakers.
> I was wondering if anyone else has been
> in this boat with our distro and would
> know how to get it to work?
>
> So far the only reference I can find says
> that I need the cvs version of alsa as the
> normal one doesn't create a /dev/alsa directory
> with settings to recognise the spdif.
> The reference is some years old but I have been unable to find another.
>
> Would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction :)

Hi Craig !

This is not really in the scope of sourcemage. In fact, it will work
with the versions of alsa that are shipped in current grimoires (1.0.9).
You will find all the important information in the alsa official
documentation :

http://alsa.opensrc.org/DigitalOut

and to enforce definitely the settings, you will have to use a config
file named .asoundrc :

http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc

I hope you will succeed with this information !
Greetings,

Timothée Lecomte

  • [SM-Discuss] alsa and spdif, Craig Dyke, 09/14/2005
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • [SM-Discuss] alsa and spdif, Timothée Lecomte, 09/16/2005