sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] alsa and spdif

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Craig Dyke <grail AT westnet.com.au>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] alsa and spdif
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:36:05 +0800

Howdy All

I have recently upgraded my mobo and it has an inbuilt sound card and a spdif output.

Under windblows I have to use the spdif output as I have digital only speakers.
I was wondering if anyone else has been in this boat with our distro and would know how to
get it to work?

So far the only reference I can find says that I need the cvs version of alsa as the normal one
doesn't create a /dev/alsa directory with settings to recognise the spdif.
The reference is some years old but I have been unable to find another.

Would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction :)

Info:

Mobo: Epox 8KDA3+ (Socket 754 amd64) NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb chipset, with digital output using Realtek ALC850
Sound card module comes up as intel8x0

Craig

  • [SM-Discuss] alsa and spdif, Craig Dyke, 09/14/2005