sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] list spammage by team-internal discussions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] list spammage by team-internal discussions
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 14:02:47 +0200

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 10:56:45AM +0200, Karsten Behrmann wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> I was just wondering if sm-discuss ought to be the "bazaar" place for
> all discussion, even the team-internal that most other people would
> not find too interesting (such as "I've done a quick search and these are
> a few TODOs I've seen in the ISO generation code"), or if those should
> be moved to seperate mailing lists.
>
> If I remember my history lessons right, we supposedly once had seperate
> lists
> for grimoire and sorcery, which were then merged into sm-discuss.

There were grimoire, sorcery and general sm-discuss which were merged.
There just wasn't enough seperate traffic back then and most people
subscribed to all lists anyway, which lead to lots of cross-posting.

> There seem to be three reasonable possibilities to me:
> - Create seperate lists for teams with bunches of boring internae to discuss
> - Send to sm-discuss and prefix Subject: with "{teamname}" (or something)
> - Do reply-to-all's (not a good thing, IMHO)

I think the overall traffic on sm-discuss is still low enough to keep
such discussions on the general list, so I'd vote for the prefix option.

http://www.sourcemage.org