sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Threat profile analysis for spackages not signed by authors

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Threat profile analysis for spackages not signed by authors
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:27:41 -0700

Technically speaking, you dont have to revoke the key. You resign the
tarball then, publish the grimoire, its the same thing, the old bad
signature isn't in any accesible grimoire, no more than the bad hash
would be. The problem that key revocation solves is to protect un-updated
grimoires already in the field, where either the hash, or the signature
have been compromised. Hashes alone do not solve this problem. If cast can
notice that the key is revoked automatically, then it can fail where a
simple hash would not.

-Andrew