sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Warning: test grimoire init.d breakage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Warning: test grimoire init.d breakage
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:54:51 -0700

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 06:23:52PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> On Aug 29, Sergey A. Lipnevich [sergey AT optimaltec.com] wrote:
> > Quoting "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>:
> >
> > > I promise this mail has nothing to do with GPG.
> >
> > Me too :-).
> >
> > > If you use test grimoire and updated it and recast init.d in the last 24
> > > hours, you may have a non-bootable system. A call to /usr/bin/grep
> > > made it
> > > into the init system, which won't work for scripts that are called
> > > before
> > > /usr is mounted.
> >
> > Is that what I integrated yesterday? I assumed it was OK because I used
> > this
> > code for some time and there was no WIP on it.
> >
> > I'm sorry too. I don't have a separate /usr partition that's why it
> > worked.
>
> Yes, it was in that bunch of code. No one that looked at it noticed,

I looked at it too, but didn't notice -- we'd all had to remember and
notice that grep was on /usr/bin :) Failed us all.

That's what test grimoire is for, letting devel code hit the real world
test :)

> apparently. I didn't WIP it because I didn't expect it not to work. I had
> it on systems as well, and they have separate /usr partitions, but I
> apparently missed the reboot test.

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733