sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Initrd with udev and LVM; may be good for ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Initrd with udev and LVM; may be good for ISO
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:45:31 -0400

Hi All,

I've recently committed changes that make a static udevstart binary, as well
as
changes for device-mapper and lvm to make static binaries. I also committed a
new scenario for a very good linux-initrd spell by David. This scenario uses
the things above to create a working initrd image without devfs, that also
allows a root partition to be a logical volume. This work was also based on
Red
Hat's LVM howto document and LVM2 docs.
While my "itch" has been scratched, and my new server has / as l.v., I'd like
suggest that a new ISO includes these three static binaries mentioned above,
and
uses udev instead of obsolete devfs.
Also, presently, LVM stuff is not on the ISO's initrd so it can't be used to
troubleshoot a system with / as l.v. However, the fact that the latest ISO
0.9.4 beta itself *has* LVM on it, allows one to set up such a system (and
this
is VERY GOOD, thanks a lot guys!). It wouldn't start without an initrd though
:-), hence my commits.

One note: I had to use busybox's shell in this new initrd "scenario" because
on
amd64 with gcc 3.4 and 4.0, bash.static sefgaults in an easily reproducible
way. The one built with 3.3 seems to be fine.

Cheers,
Sergey.