sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] cross install

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] cross install
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:44:54 -0700

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 09:45:38AM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Lubomir Blaha <tritol AT trilogic.cz>:
> > On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 05:57:57PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> >> What you might want to do is just use distcc on the laptop and
> >> desktop. Have the laptop send all of it's compilation to the desktop
> >> and do none of it's own, then Sorcer will use your desktop to compile
> >> the packages and then install on the laptop. Alternatively you could
> >> have both your machines use the same cache files from installed spells,
> >> but then you'll have to compile for the lowest machine (your 486 laptop)
> >> and then have /var/cache/sorcery NFS (or any other networked filesystem)
> >> mounted on the laptop from the desktop. Once you compile a package on
> >> the desktop it'll also be available for resurrection on the laptop.
> >> Personally I'd go with the distcc route so that your desktop and
> >> laptop can have different options for the packages (since you may not
> >> want all the options on your laptop (e.g. KDE) that you do on the
> >> desktop).
> >
> > Distcc is interesting idea. I already know it exist but didn't know how
> > it works. Now I'm little smarter than yesterday, thanks :).
> >
> > But distcc brings some other problems. The laptop have no network device
> > so I should "emulate" net via paralel or serial port (is it possible?).
> > There is no cdrom too, so another thing to solve (to install basic set
> > of spells).
> >
> > Sync via /var/cache/sorcery is possible (I already done it with another
> > installation) but I don't want this. The diferencies between both systems
> > are too big.
> >
> > I don't need "full featured" SM system on laptop. My idea is install
> > only few spells to bring the hw up (kernel, init, shell, vim, directfb
> > etc) and still have way to upgrade this spells when new versions will
> > be avaiable. Seems this requires some kind of chrooted enviroment on
> > desktop. Or am I wrong?
>
> Sounds like most of your difficulty will be in getting files (whether
> source or pre-compiled binary) to your laptop. Perhaps the best option
> would be to setup a chroot on your desktop to compile for i486 and then
> just copy the chroot's /var/cache/sorcery to the laptop (somehow).

I have a pre-built i486 chroot [0]. Just unpack it, and run the following
mount --rbind /dev /path/to/chroot/dev
mount --bind /proc /path/to/chroot/proc
mount --bind /sys /path/to/chroot/sys

Then chroot in and cast away.

This was made as part of my effort to create a tool to help generate
consistent chroots.

[0] ftp://t.armory.com/oldstuff/chroot-i486.tar.bz2