sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] cross install

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] cross install
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:57:57 -0700

Quoting Lubomir Blaha <tritol AT trilogic.cz>:
Hello all.

I'm new in this list but using SM at home and work for a year (maybe
longer). It's great distro and I'm happy with my decision to install it.
Thanks for your work.

Welcome to the list and it's been our pleasure. ;)

I'm able to do most of things on my own, but now I don't know how solve
cross install (and upgrades) of SM. I got old notebook (486/100, 4MB
RAM, CF instead of HDD) and I want SM on it. I was read howtos
http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=install_root+and+others
http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=install+using+chroot+and+rsync
and few posts from this list and I still don't know how to do it.

I want do all on my home PC with SM, to notebook transfer only installed
files and still use sorcery stuff to trace it. So I need trace two SM
instalations with one sorcery stuff. I found "install_root and others"
useful, but I can't find easy way to switch these variables (menu driven
program is not easy way :).

Thanks for any advice.

What you might want to do is just use distcc on the laptop and
desktop. Have the laptop send all of it's compilation to the desktop
and do none of it's own, then Sorcer will use your desktop to compile
the packages and then install on the laptop. Alternatively you could
have both your machines use the same cache files from installed spells,
but then you'll have to compile for the lowest machine (your 486 laptop)
and then have /var/cache/sorcery NFS (or any other networked filesystem)
mounted on the laptop from the desktop. Once you compile a package on
the desktop it'll also be available for resurrection on the laptop.
Personally I'd go with the distcc route so that your desktop and
laptop can have different options for the packages (since you may not
want all the options on your laptop (e.g. KDE) that you do on the
desktop).

Hope this helps,

-sandalle

eric at sandall.us PGP: 0xA8EFDD61 | http://www.sourcemage.org/