sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kyle code purge progress from sorcery

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kyle code purge progress from sorcery
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:06:45 -0700

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 04:53:25PM -0500, Casey Harkins wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
> >I wonder if somebody could rewrite cabal from scratch, that's pretty
> >much the only thing of size untouched. We could move that into its own
> >spell, too.
>
> There are actually plenty of tools out there that will essentially perform
> the same function as cabal. Rather than re-inventing the wheel, cabal
> could just be pulled entirely and spells created for one or more of the
> existing tools.
>
> Google turned up a tool called tentakel. The tentakel website has a list
> of similar programs.
>
> http://tentakel.biskalar.de/similar/
>
> My 1/2 cent...

Agreed, I don't really consider cabal a package management feature.

The only reason I'm hesitent is that some people may actually use the
thing.

My machines here are too diverse to have such a tool be useful, which is
why I didn't propose removing it outright. To satisfy all people, I
proposed the spell idea.

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Quality Assurance Team Leader; Security Team Member, Leader Emeritus
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Secretary, and Finances Chair
Pacific Green Party of Oregon - Peace - http://www.pacificgreens.org