sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Using chroot during INSTALL phase

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Using chroot during INSTALL phase
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:00:42 -0700

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 10:53:01PM +0200, Karsten Behrmann wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:44:55 -0400
> "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com> wrote:
>

> > Actually, this is not what I suggest. What if building is done in the
> > regular
> > system (with root in TRACK_ROOT), and only doing install in the chroot
> > (using
> > INSTALL_ROOT as root). Karsten made a good point, in order for "make
> > install"
> > to succeed, we need at least make, bash, and install working in chroot.
>
> Just a half-stupid question to see if I understood you correctly:
> if I want to install to /my/chroot/opt (obviously wanting to be able to
> chroot to /my/chroot), I would...
> 1. chroot to /opt and build there
> 2. chroot to /my/chroot and make install there
> ...confused...

In the proposed scheme I believe you'd build in /usr/src/spell with
TRACK_ROOT set to /opt. Then chroot inside /usr/src/spell somehow, run
make install. This installs everything to /usr/src/spell/opt (/opt
inside the make install chroot). Then after that on the native view cp
/usr/src/spell/opt to /my/chroot/opt.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |