sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Using chroot during INSTALL phase

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Using chroot during INSTALL phase
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:50:34 -0700

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 04:44:55PM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> Quoting Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:
>

> >In order to do what you want (build inside a chroot) you have to have an
> >entire functioning system, including all the dependencies of the spell
> >you're building, inside the chroot. You cant simply build something that
> >links against libraries without that stuff installed. You cant build
> >subversion if apr isnt installed. So the chroot for installing would
> >have to be pre-generated. Is this an idea worth considering? Definitly.
> >Will it eliminate INSTALL/TRACK_ROOT variables? I disagree, it just
> >changes (some of) the implementation. Will it make for less work for
> >spell maintainers? Depends. (more on this after some background on how
> >things work now)
>
> Actually, this is not what I suggest. What if building is done in the
> regular
> system (with root in TRACK_ROOT), and only doing install in the chroot
> (using
> INSTALL_ROOT as root). Karsten made a good point, in order for "make
> install"
> to succeed, we need at least make, bash, and install working in chroot.

Okay, so you still need basesystem, plus whatever other dependencies are
required for installing located in the chroot (not just make and bash
for it to work in general)...

*shrug*

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |