sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Boot-theme spell and initrd

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Michael Leo Brown Jr." <dmlb2000 AT excite.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Boot-theme spell and initrd
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 22:12:11 -0400 (EDT)

I've been recently developing an mk_initrd script that creates a small initrd
so that a user can either use it for rescue purposes, for loading modules
before
the root filesystem is mounted, setting up lvm or raid for the root
filesystem,
whatever...

Currently what I have is in the linux-new spell, it doens't have any sanity
checks, or options of anykind other than the version which is the first
argument. The script honestly doesn't do much but provide busybox and the
modules using cramfs to create the initrd.

In the past I was thinking about integrating this script into the linux-new
spell as an option of course. However, I can see the options for the initrd
get
out of hand really quickly. Options like what filesystem should it be, to
what
binaries and libs should be included, and finally what splash image to cat
onto
the end of the initrd.

These options (which is one of the things Source Mage users love ;) lead me
believe that this should really be a separate spell so that users can taylor
the
initrd to their specialized needs.

This new spell of course would deprecate the boot-theme spell.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing a spell like this.
Also, if so would they contribute more boot themes images, jpg's preferably.
The classic Source Mage jpg that is already in the boot-theme spell is great
but I'd like a little variaty sometimes ;)

- David Brown

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com