sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Regarding the nominations

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Amel Durakovic <sourcemage AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Regarding the nominations
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 18:32:57 +0200

Hi everyone!

I'd been away for a while, and I missed the last sm-discuss mails, so
I got afrayedknot at IRC to refresh the news.

Thanks to aftrayedknot!

He wrote, that I could write a speech in order to give the users of
Source Mage GNU/Linux an oppurtunity to get to know me and my goals.

I'm Amel Durakovic. I was born in Bosnia and Herzegovina but due to
the civil war, I fled to Denmark. I've been using Linux for about two
years. I lived as a Linux nomad in the past two years, because I was
searching for the best fitting Linux. Source Mage GNU/Linux did
impress me very very much..

Why? Well, I've always liked wizards and warlocks, so that was in fact
the only reason, I tried this distribution. http://www.distrowatch.com
was the main link between me and SMGL.

This is where we have to strike! We have to get the attention of
Distrowatch. The new users all know that page.. That's the source! So
that's why I will appreciate, if the users and developers of SMGL
write a few reviews, and maybe reduces the period of time between new
.iso releases, so that we can get into the spot light of Distrowatch..

The develop of SMGL is fantastic.. The only thing SMGL needs is USERS!
We'll get the users from Distrowatch.. What's the reason Ubuntu is
popular? Distrowatch!

We need to make more guides, still better support.. I find the support
good enough, but new users need more time and better support!

The flash guides could become an other solution.. It's even easy for
developers to make guides, instead of writing:

1. Install a desktop recorder. (VNC-viewer)
2. Record the process of (kernel compiling, how to use Sorcery etc.)
3. Upload the flash video on a web page.
4. Now you help lots of new users.. Be proud of yourself!

Common people (it's not, that we aren't common, but I'm referring to
the normal desktop user) don't want to read books in order to use
their system. In this way they can see a flash video, and voila! They
learn it!

Some developers might think, that this is a bad idea, because
Macromedia is commercial, but on the other hand: That's what new users
want.. Friendly operating systems! We can offer that.

My goals:

Distrowatch,
Flash Videos,
News,
Reviews.

Thanks for your attention..

Sincerely Amel Durakovic also known as cewourg & wourgs.

  • [SM-Discuss] Regarding the nominations, Amel Durakovic, 05/03/2005