sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] dispel + depends

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] dispel + depends
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:29:16 -0700

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 07:51:55PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:
> > Hi, for quite some time folks have occasionally requested that dispel
> > understand dependencies. I've tried to combine the various requests
> > together in such a way that it provides a reasonable user
> > interface. Please let me know what you think, if you have any comments,
> > questions or suggestions, feel free.
>
> Perhaps provide a "doit" method a la `cleanse --prune doit` so a user could
> try
> the dispel to see what it'd do before actually doing it (if this wouldn't
> cause
> too much of a headache having the code do hypothetical situations).

Sure, thats not too difficult. It would basically a series of commands
to run. I could add a -n parameter similar to whats in make for doing
a trial run.

> The defaults menu would be via `sorcery` -> Option?

Yea somewhere in there would be the location of the described menus.

> Perhaps add a flag/option to enable this behaviour and leave plain `dispel
> <spell>` as is? e.g. `dispel -r <spell>` for "recursive dispel"?

Thats basically the idea, the user has to specifically opt-in to the behavior.

However, theres two interpritations of 'recursive', this is mitigated by
the proposed --user-child-deps and --user-parent-deps (or whatever)
options to control either side of the spectrum. Being orthoganol to cast,
they could be -R and -B respectively. There could be an option to enable
both user defined behaviors though.

Im of course open to suggestions on better names for the options.