sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Using 'locate' in sorcery?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Paul Mahon <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Using 'locate' in sorcery?
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:48:07 -0400

Sorcery doesn't use locate, it generally uses find... if you were asking
why sorcery uses it.
If you were asking the more general question, "Why use locate?" Here's
why:
Updatedb can be scheduled to run at a time when you're not using the
computer (5am on Sundays is usually good for me), this keeps the db up
to date, and locating a file takes a fraction of a second. It takes
about as long to do an updatedb as it takes to do a 'find /' and with
locate you can do multiple lookups without having to search the whole HD
each time.