sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] OpenSSH 4.0 Problems

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David C. Haley" <dhaley AT tamsco.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] OpenSSH 4.0 Problems
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:44:18 +0300

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:56:20 +0100 (CET)
Jens Laas <jens.laas AT data.slu.se> wrote:

> (05.03.21 kl.15:31) David C. Haley skrev följande till
> sm-discuss AT lists.ibi...:
>
> > Many of your are probably already aware I had problems with OpenSSH the
> > past few days. For those of you that missed out on all the fun allow me
> > to further explain. Roughly a week ago now I did my usual system update
> > of the small server I kee at my house. Well, shortly there after realized
> > that I couldn't log back in. I checked teh config files for openssh and
> > found nothing out of the ordinary, even dispelled and recast it (deleting
> > out /etc/ssh and anything that was lest in it) just to be sure. But to no
> > affect.
> >
> > Too make a long story short all my efforts to get version 4.0 working
> > failed. I was not able to get login access back until my second hand on
> > teh other end downgraded my grimoires from test to stable and installed
> > 3.9. As soon as 3.9 was reinstalled all my problems went away and I am
> > back up and running again.
> >
> > The spell is currently in a hold status pending the release of soemthing
> > like 4.1 where I hope things things will be resolved.
> >
> > Is anyone else on the lists having a similar problem running openssh 4.0
> > or is it just me?
>
> Not me.

Forgive me for the delay in response...

> To be able to analyze your problem you should report what kind of
> authentication you use with ssh.

Here is a dump of the ssh -v x.x.x.x that I get when trying to connect under
openssh 4.0:

uther@shroudedisles:~$ ssh -v x.x.x.x
OpenSSH_4.0p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004
debug1: Connecting to x.x.x.x [x.x.x.x] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/uther/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/uther/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/uther/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_3.9p1
debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.9p1 pat OpenSSH_3.*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.0
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug1: Host 'x.x.x.x' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/uther/.ssh/known_hosts:1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug1: Authentications that can continue: password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
Connection closed by x.x.x.x

From what I see all goes well til it hits keyboard-interactive than it dies
on me.

> PAM/Shadow ? Do you use tcp_wrappers ? etc
tcp_wrappers is used, during my initial troubleshooting I turned this off to
see if compiling openssh without this dependency would fix the issue but to
no avail.
PAM and Kerberos 5 support are not compiled in during install.

If I can provide any more information just let me know.

Regards,
SilverS