sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] bash_profile and bashrc . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] bash_profile and bashrc . . .
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:01:13 -0800

> About /sbin being in the default PATH, most linux users are keen to try out
> stuff. Is there a good reason to put sbin in their path to point to
> executables
> which their not supposed/allowed to run anyway?

I do not think everything in /sbin is not intended to be run by normal
users, if that was the case then their permissions would be set as
such. Furthermore...

I run commands in /sbin as normal users *a lot*

I *like* being able to run ifconfig as a normal user without having to
try very hard

I *hate* working on redhat machines as a normal user because when I
type ifconfig I get command not found and have to manually type out
/sbin/ifconfig.

I dont think it changes security on the machine /at all/ to remove /sbin
from the path.

But this is all just my very pragmatic, biased, and highly cynical opinion.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |