sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] bash_profile and bashrc . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] bash_profile and bashrc . . .
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:05:50 -0800

On Friday 18 March 2005 08:41 am, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>:
> > I've been doing a little system maintenance this morning and running into
> > a couple of quirks I thought I'd bring up to see if they are bugs that
> > should be addressed or not.
> >
> > The first thing is in the .bash_profile, our /etc/skel version (and $HOME
> > versions as well) have the following snippet:
> >
> > root@tbird:~# cat /etc/skel/.bash_profile
> > PATH1=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin
> > PATH2=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
> > PATH3=/usr/games:/usr/local/games
> > PATH4=/usr/bin/X11:~/bin
> > PATH=$PATH1:$PATH2:$PATH3:$PATH4
> > PS1='\u@\h:\w\$ '
> >
> > If our Source Mage systems are supposed to have a /usr directory that is
> > free of a local directory, shouldn't those PATHs also be free of
> > /usr/local paths? If that is a bug, which component shall I file it
> > against?
>
> Probably. I believe the ISO sets those up currently.

Hmm, since I now have two conflicting view points, I'll wait a bit before
making waves. :^)

> > The second thing is that in my /root directory, .bashrc is a copy
> > of .bash_profile rather than a link to it. In my /home/jason and in
> > my /etc/skel, those files are links. Is that a bug or by design? If it
> > is a bug, what component should I file it against?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> My .bashrc is a link to .bash_profile for root and in /etc/skel. Which ISO
> did you install from? The two installs I checked are from 0.9.3 and
> 0.9.4-test2.

It's probably from the 0.9.2 ISO. It's been a while since I've been able to
burn a new ISO, due to hardware problems. I'll ignore this assuming it was
from the old ISO.

--
Jason Flatt
Father of five: http://www.flattfamily.com/