sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Pine license (was: Re: Another new section maintainer)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Pine license (was: Re: Another new section maintainer)
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:09:12 -0800

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 03:08:31PM -0600, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> On Feb 17, Arwed von Merkatz [v.merkatz AT gmx.net] wrote:
> > we have a new maintainer for the mail section, Jeremy Blosser (emrys)
> > who recently joined us as a General Guru. The unmaintained section count
> > seems to drop quite fast recently :)
> > Have fun with your new section Jeremy!
>
> Thanks. :-)
>
> ...and as I survey my new domain, I have to ask, why is the pine stuff in
> here instead of in z-rejected? For those who are unaware, the UW license
> is non-free; cf:
>
> http://www.washington.edu/pine/overview/legal.html
> http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/legal.html#10.1
> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/license-list.html#NonFreeSoftwareLicense
> (look for "the license of PINE")
>
> I will be looking to move mail/pine-* to z-rejected/z-mail/ unless anyone
> sees a reason this shouldn't happen. Also, anything in other sections that
> is under the UW license should be moved as well.

It looks like pretty much the exact same requirement as DJB
(redistribution of modifications in patch form only), in longer verbage.
If that's the case, we should move DJB stuff out to z-rejected as well.

Seth

Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8 3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEF10E21A
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org