sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Social Contract Revision - Part I

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Social Contract Revision - Part I
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:37:09 -0800

There are two parts to this revision of our Social Contract[0] (SC) that I'd
like to propose.

The first, this one, is to change some of the wording in Article I of our SC,
which currently states:

* 1* Sourcemage Will Remain 100% Free

We promise to keep the Sourcemage GNU/Linux Distribution entirely free (as in
freedom). This means that all software we release will be licensed under the
GNU Public License, and all of the software included in our distribution will
be under a GPL compatible license, as defined by the Free Software Foundation
(fsf.org). All of our documentation will be released under the GNU Free
Documentation License. While we recognize that these are not the only "free"
software licenses, we choose to maintain the simplicity that this solution
provides. We will support our users who develop and run non-free software on
SMGL, but we will never make the core system depend on an item of non-free
software.

This is what we intend, but this part is where my contention is:
"...and all of the software included in our distribution will be under a GPL
compatible license, as defined by the Free Software Foundation (fsf.org)."

We have other licenses in our grimoires and only binary-only and
distribution-limiting licenses make it into z-rejected. If "distribution" only
applies to our ISO, we still include non-GPL software (some drivers, packages,
etc.) that are not GPL.

Should we remove that line or reword it to say, "and all of the software
required to use our distribution will be licensed under the GPL."?

-sandalle

[0] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=SocialContract